Friday, July 18, 2008

Recovery week and plans for the weekend

This week has been a recovery week for me and I feel good after several days of easy workouts and plenty of sleep. I have been busy with interviews and Skinfit business but since training was on the light side this week I had time to get plenty of work done.
Today is going to be another mellow day with a spin on the time trial bike and a short run with the dog. This afternoon we are heading up to San Jose for a concert with some good friends and then tomorrow I will get in a swim and ride before heading up to Vineman to pick up my race packet. We are staying in San Rafael b/c I couldn't find a hotel near the race that wasn't crazy expensive or sold out. Oh well, it really isn't that big of a deal b/c I will be with Jess and I am sure we can find something fun to do.
I am really looking forward to this event. I want to get some experience with this distance so my goal is just to finish and to see what longer distance racing is all about. I like this position b/c I don't know what to expect and I am just going to go out there to have fun and learn all that I can. Plus, it helps that the race is set in a beautiful place and I will have Jess with me to enjoy the experience. I am thinking I will bring the portable shower so that I can get cleaned up for some wine tasting and a nice restaurant after the race =) Forget the gatorade and the dried out cookies and fruit...we will be in the heart of wine country!
I have always wanted to qualify for Kona (Hawaii Ironman World Championships) and I plan to chase this qualifying spot next year. So, this is the first step toward achieving this goal...get some experience this weekend and be more aggressive next year when I go for a slot to Kona. Kona really is the pinnacle of the sport and I want to do it before I stop racing at a higher level, which is why I am going to try for a spot next year.
After this weekend I will be back to another hard training block in which I will really dial up the intensity. Ogden is just around the corner so I will be putting in some very hard sessions. Well, that's it from here. Have a good weekend and stay tuned for a race report from Vineman.

2 comments:

Matt said...

I love the word "quaff." Make sure you do some of that!

Sounds like a great approach to the race. Have a good one.

runninggunner said...

Have a great race. Have fun.